Saturday, August 28, 2010

18 month old brett saison des derniers passages 3,9% ABV



Magnum sized bottle (1,5 L). 18 month old.

Aroma: Light herbal, floral, citrus and lemon. Slight notes of funk and pineapples.

Appearance: Pale amber, not really orange. slightly hazy. Nice rocky white head that do not last. Good lacing.Last glass out of the magnum bottle was way more hazy than the first few pours.

Flavor: There is a little spice and peppery taste, but not much. It taste more earthy with tropical fruits notes(really pineapples comes first) and maybe mango. Slightly sour , some toasted malt flavor to balance. Bitterness is to high for that beer. The FG is quite low (1.004) so the bitterness is really overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Nice acidity and efferfecence. sourness is right where it should be.Light and refreshing.

Overall: With lower bitterness, the earthy-spicy-floral and fruity flavor would come out more. To do better next time: lower IBU's, maybe some spice additions like corriander would be great . But the striesspalt hops and sazz combo is great. I would also like the color to be more "orange" like than amber. Lot of work to do on this one.  Last thing, There is almost no oxydation flavors, great for a 18 month old beer!


I tasted this one because I was about to brew it again (ver. 4.0). This saison will have a complete review of it's recipe, with aging with brett. in mind. I really think that wild/funky beers should really be specially designed for that purpose. I can't just turn one of my regular beers to wild just by adding the bugs. The balance is realy not be the same. Every aspect of the beer should be reviewed. I will work on the new recipe and post an update.

No comments:

Post a Comment